The first homes were merely thatched cabins constructed quickly under the energetic Capt. John Smith. The instructions required that the dwellings should be set evenly upon a line on either side of the street, and that each street was to debouch into one central market square. The Council gave this direction in order that from one point all the streets might be commanded by field ordnance. As soon as Capt. Newport arrived with the First Supply ship during the winter of 1607, he employed his men in erecting a storehouse and a church. The entire group of houses appears to have been surrounded by a stockade.