After the departure of Captain Devries from the colony of Virginia in 1632, there is evidence that numerous barks, pinnaces and row boats were built. The need for navigation of the rivers and creeks required various types of flat boats. However, no ships were constructed. Therefore, Secretary Kemp recommended in a letter to Secretary Windebank in England that a custom-house should be established in Virginia with a view to encouraging the building of large vessels. Source: British State Papers, vol. IX, No. 9; Sainsbury Abstracts for 1637, p. 154, Virginia State Library. The pinnace (left) was frequently used, capacity to 25 tons.